Why study at our department?
The Department of regional geography, planning and environment, its scientific and pedagogical work makes a significant contribution
to ensure scientific and professional cadres for high schools, universities and various scientific, research or planning institutions.
Since the founding, more than 700 students have finished and graduated as Master of Sciences (MSc./Mgr.), more than 80 candidates have finished with RNDr. degree (Rerum Naturalium doctor), 22 researchers have gained CSc. or PhD. degree and two researchers have been inaugurated to professor.
Annually educates more than 30 Masters of regional geography, regional development and European integration - future geographers and specialists and from 5 to 20 teaching experts - future grammar or high school teachers.
The department provides teaching at all grades of higher education: bachelor's, master's and postgraduate's degree.
At bachelor's degree provides education for monodisciplinary study within study programmes:
- geography, regional development and European integration
- geography in state and local administration (also as the external study)
- geography and demography
- geography and geoecology for landscape planning
- geography, cartography and GIS
- geography and cartography
- geology in land use
The geography, regional development and European integration program is guaranteed by our department.
On master's degree the study program Regional geography, regional development and European integration is guaranteed by our department. The department is also involved in education of Human geography and demography in state and local administration study program.
The department is also the guarantee of study program Regional geography on postgraduate's degree.
Our workplace is also involved in preparation of future geography teachers in combinations
- mathematics - geography
- biology - geography
- physical education - geography
- geography – informatics
Number of graduates since 2000
On a lecture...
Since the establishment, the department has been providing teaching of The Regional geography of Slovak Republic (Czechoslovakia earlier) and The Regional geography of the world.
Profiling subjects currently are
- General geography
- Thematic cartography
- Planetary geography and the introduction to geography
- Introduction to political and regional geography
- Geography of the Slovak Republic
- Regional geography of the world
- Geographical analysis of a small region
- Theoretical geography
- Historical geography
- Regional policy, regional planning and development
The subjects for the Regional geography, regional development and European integration are as follows:
- The introduction to theory and methodology of regional geography
- Regional analysis
- Sustainable development and its regional scope
- Urban and regional structures
- Purpose properties of the landscape
- Economical usage of purpose properties of the landscape
- Creating and preserving of the environment and its economical and law aspects
- Programming and designing in regional development
- Regional planning and regional development in selected countries of the EU
- The European Union
- European integration
- Basics of the European Union
- The European Union development and its prospects
- The European Union and present world problems
- Rural geography
- Regional geography of the world – selected regions and problems
- Regions of Slovakia - selected problems
- The global trends of society development
- The global trends of world development
- The global trends of world economics development
- Geopolitical development of the world in years 1945 - 2000
- Ethnical and religion conflicts in Europe
- Behavioural geography
- The special seminar of Regional geography
- Computer usage in geography
- New trends in geography
- New trends in regional geography
- Photo, audio and videodocumentation in geography
Along the education, the department provides students
mapping courses (field practicing within subjects Geographical analysis of a small region, Rural geography, Sustainable development and its regional scope)
specialists practice (Field practicing in regional development institutions, Specialists practice in Regional geography)
field trips and expeditions focused on regional geography of the Slovakia and foreing countries ( especially Czech rep., Austria, Germany, Hungary, Croatia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Italy, France, Spain, Norway, etc.).
Field trip in Croatia|
The main purpose of field trips is to complete and practically apply the knowledge gained at lectures of The Regional geography of the Slovak Republic and The Regional geography of the world subjects. Students may observe and investigate basic attributes of the visited regions, their differences and particularities.
Field trips also focus on visiting specific regions such as national parks, reservations, protected landscape areas, industrial nodes and agricultural landscapes. Surveys of famous places, cultural and historical sites or settlements that are exceptional from the geographical point of view are also the part of field trips.
The visitation of Silica ice-depression|
Significant part of all field trips are lectures, presentations and discussions with experts working in various sectors with geographical focus.
Prof. Lauko explaining on field trip||
|© 2011 - 2014|